Wednesday, November 9, 2016

In The Aftermath

The 2016 election has come to a close after what was perhaps the craziest, strangest, most unexpected election seasons our country has ever seen.

And now that it’s over people are sharing their thoughts.  This is natural  Talking through things be it communication with others or simply talking aloud to hear our thoughts is just how we operate as humans.

As for people’s reactions, some are celebrating and others are mourning.  Others still are making plans to leave the country or fight their fight.

And then there are these posts:

“Stop complaining.” “Omg stop talking about the election it’s done.” “I’m so sick of hearing about politics, shut up!”

Etc, etc, etc.

And you know what, I’m really tired of it, too. I am.  I hear you.  I, too, am forcing myself to make ‘normal’ posts simply so I can try to find normalcy in my life again.  But everyone needs to get through this in their own way.

Freedom of speech says we have the right to complain/rejoice/discuss/etc.  

Yes it says you have the right to complain about the complaints.  But is that going to do anything better than spin our tires?

If you don’t like it, take a break from social media, hide those posts (FB Purity extension is a miracle!), or hide those people’s updates from your news streams.  It’s incredibly easy to avoid things online.

Things will quiet down soon. But it’s been less than 24 hours since the news of who won broke.  Give people time to process it.  Just because you’re ready to move on, doesn’t mean others are. I’m not telling you you can/cannot make certain statements, I’m just asking that we all show each other a little more respect for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment